By default, Windows Server 2016 and 2019 do not have the Photo Viewer application installed. However, it is possible to enable the application using a few simple steps.
Hello friends, welcome to our blog, today we are going to tell you How To Enable Photo Viewer on Windows Server 2016 or 2019 in this blog, as well as today we are going to tell you about the alternative of Windows Server 2016 or 2019.
How To Enable Photo Viewer on Windows Server 2016 or 2019
Here is a step-by-step guide to enabling Photo Viewer on Windows Server 2016 or 2019:
Step 1: Download the Microsoft Photos App The Microsoft Photos app is the new version of the classic Photo Viewer application. To download the app, follow these steps:
- Open the Microsoft Store app on your Windows Server 2016 or 2019 machine.
- Click on the “Get” button to download and install the app.
- Type “Microsoft Photos” in the search box and press Enter.
- Click on the “Microsoft Photos” app from the search results.
Step 2: Enable the App for All Users By default, the Microsoft Photos app is only enabled for the user account that installed it. To enable the app for all users on the machine, follow these steps:
- Open the Registry Editor by typing “regedit” in the search box and pressing Enter.
- Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\18
- In the “Value data” field, type the following: “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_XXXX.XXX.XX.XX_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Microsoft.Photos.exe” “%1” (Note: Replace “XXXX.XXX.XX.XX” with the version number of the Microsoft Photos app on your machine. You can find this by right-clicking on the Microsoft Photos app in the Start menu and selecting “More” -> “App settings.”)
- Right-click on the “ShellExecute” key and select “Modify.”
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
Step 3: Add the App to the Open With List To make the Microsoft Photos app the default application for opening image files, you need to add it to the Open With list. Follow these steps:
- Right-click on an image file (e.g. a .jpg or .png file) and select “Open with” -> “Choose another app.”
- In the “How do you want to open this file?” dialog box, click on “More apps.”
- Navigate to the following folder: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows.Photos_XXXX.XXX.XX.XX_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\
- Select the “Microsoft.Photos.exe” file and click “Open.”
- Scroll down and click on “Look for another app on this PC.”
- Check the box that says “Always use this app to open .xxx files” (replace .xxx with the file extension of the image file you selected).
- Click “OK” to save the changes.
Step 4: Test the App Once you have completed the above steps, you should be able to open image files using the Microsoft Photos app. To test the app, follow these steps:
- Double-click on an image file (e.g. a .jpg or .png file) on your Windows Server 2016 or 2019 machine.
- The Microsoft Photos app should open and display the image file.
Step 5: Troubleshooting If you are having issues enabling the Microsoft Photos app on your Windows Server 2016 or 2019 machine, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Check that you have downloaded the correct version of the Microsoft Photos app for your machine. You can find the version number by right-clicking on the app in the Start menu and selecting “More” -> “App
Windows Server 2016- 2019 Photo Viewer Alternative
Windows Server 2016-2019 does not come with the classic Photo Viewer application pre-installed, and installing it involves several steps as described in a previous answer. However, there are several alternative image viewer applications that can be used on Windows Server 2019.
Here are some of the best photo viewer alternatives for Windows Server 2016-2019:
FastStone Image Viewer
FastStone Image Viewer is another popular image viewer that supports a wide range of file formats. It includes basic editing features as well as batch processing and also has a range of advanced features such as image comparison, red-eye removal, and image stitching.
IrfanView is a lightweight and powerful image viewer that can handle a wide range of image formats. It also includes basic editing features such as crop, resize, and color adjustments. Additionally, it supports plugins for advanced features such as batch processing and support for additional file formats.
XnView is a popular and versatile image viewer that can handle over 500 different file formats, including RAW camera images. It also includes basic editing features and supports batch processing. XnView is available in a portable version, which can be useful if you need to use it on multiple machines.
Honeyview is a simple and lightweight image viewer that supports a wide range of file formats. It includes basic editing features such as crop and rotate, and also has some advanced features such as support for animated GIFs and the ability to view images in a slideshow.
Nomacs is a lightweight and open-source image viewer that supports a wide range of file formats. It includes basic editing features such as crop and resize, and also has some advanced features such as support for multi-page TIFF files and the ability to view images in a slideshow.
All of these image viewer applications can be downloaded and installed on Windows Server 2019. They offer a range of features and options, so you can choose the one that best meets your needs. Additionally, they can all be set as the default application for opening image files, so you can easily view your images without having to go through additional steps.
We have told you in detail about How To Enable Photo Viewer on Windows Server 2016 or 2019 above, I hope you have got whatever information you need. If you have any other questions regarding this then you can ask us by commenting.